Thursday, December 23, 2010

The New Year

With the start of a new year, there is always that seemingly obligatory rule to create new goals--whether it be to be more dedicated with work, to make more meaningful relationships, or the ever popular "lose the last ten pounds". But, within a month, we tend to forget the goals that we made at the beginning of the year and settle into the same routine that has consumed our lives. The problem with many of the resolutions that are made is they lack the actual resolution--there is no commitment on a daily basis to change one's life, even if the goal is small. Human beings are creatures of habit and instead of challenging ourselves, we tend to fall into a comfortability level that is so hard to climb out of.

So, this year, I've decided to try to break out of that tendency and make a goal that, while challenging, is something that is conceivable--to not be so dependent on technology.

While this actually may seem like a daunting task, I mean it in the simplest sense: to not sign on Facebook the second I open my browser, to not watch reruns of the same shows online, to not check up on celebrity gossip. These insignificant tasks that I partake in daily seem to consume hours of my time, and while it seems fulfilling at the moment, it doesn't really make a difference in my life. Is it really necessary for me to know why Taylor Swift and Jake Gyllenhaal broke up?

Though it is sad, not really.

I also find that Facebook seems to run our lives. While it is a useful outlet, in the sense of connecting with people, it shouldn't be something I use to check up on a friend instead of meeting up with him/her outside of that blue and white screen. I find that Facebook doesn't act as a true connector but disconnects people from the moment they are actually in. It's funny that "profile that shit" has become an actual saying, and instead of enjoying the time you have with your friends, you immediately upload pictures through your phone to show where you are and what you are doing. This seems to come from a need to have a validation that what you are doing is acceptable and cool, and that validation comes when you hear that notification that someone "liked" your photo.

This is not to say that everyone on Facebook is like this; I'm only speaking through my personal experience. God forbid I actually attempt to tell others that what they are doing is meaningless or even guide others on how they should or shouldn't live their lives. In the wise words of Britney, it's your prerogative. But, at least for this new year, I'm going to attempt to slowly wean myself off of unnecessary habits and focus on bettering myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment