Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sweet Things

So I went to get breakfast at Sprinkles a little while ago with a couple friends and I never thought that I'd buy into all the hype that surrounded it. I mean, really. It's only a cupcake. What's the big deal? But, one bite of that tiny cupcake was all I needed to be hooked. It's incredibly moist and the cupcake in itself doesn't make you feel like you're biting into a big batch of sugar. The cream cheese frosting was so creamy and, really, is there any need to explain cream cheese frosting? It's absolutely the best.

To top it all off, the cupcake was paired with a steaming cup of coffee that did not need any cream or sugar because the roast in itself was incredibly rich with flavor. The tab was a bit expensive for only one cupcake with a cup of coffee, but it definitely is a treat to indulge in every once in a while.

While we enjoyed our breakfast on the little ledge that Sprinkles provides, I noticed someone familiar waiting in the long line that usually reaches the end of the block. With a quick double take, I realize that she's a girl I went to Junior High with. These are the moments that I dread--running into people from the past that you did not particularly get along with. While Junior High is bad enough, what with it being your most awkward stage as you pretend to be "hot shit" while in fact, you're still barely entering PG-13 movies without your parents' consent, it doesn't help having girls who's mission is to make your life miserable. And when I say miserable, I mean it in the deepest sense: these girls had nothing better to do than to criticize everything about you--clothes, schoolwork, looks, body, personality, etc., so that you end up constantly judging your own self-worth. All while pretending to be your best friend and smiling whenever a camera came close. (And while some may think "who cares", was anything more important in Junior High than to be liked by everyone? Yeah, I didn't think so)

But considering that's in the past, this girl came up to me and we exchanged friendly hello's, talked about how school was, and asked if we talked to anyone from Junior High. The more we talked, the easier it was to forget about some of the things she did, making me question if that experience was as bad as I thought. Looking back, regardless of a specific group of girls, I did end up creating meaningful friendships. And I did ultimately end up growing out of my awkward phase, kind of, and find my self-worth, or at least some of it. All in all, the moment that I have been so dreading wasn't that bad at all. I mean, even she seems more calm and less egotistical. I guess we all grew up from then.

Or not.

Bitch.


No comments:

Post a Comment